In the middle of the Texas Panhandles is home to about 176,000 Texans who are thrilled to call Amarillo their home. Amarillo translates to “Yellow” in Spanish.
It’s small town charm you’ll find here with the conveniences that you need to have a great stay. Wait until you see the breathtaking landscape scenery and unforgettable sunrises and sunsets! It’s breathtaking here. There are plenty of accommodations to keep you comfortable whether you’re looking for a resort, an inn or quaint bed and breakfast.
Here are a few things that tourists and locals like to do while visiting Amarillo:
- Fill your belly at the Big Texan Steak Ranch where you might want to take a nibble of the best 72-ounce steak you’ll ever taste (and may get it free if you follow their competition rules!) Are you up for the challenge? Over thirty five hundred have tried but only about seven thousand have actually succeeded.
- Check out the 25,000 acres at Palo Duro Canyon State Park
- Take a trek down the famous route 66 while feeling the wind in your hair
- Visit the Panhandle Plains or Kwahadi-Kiva Museums
- Check out our theater or art shows
- Head to the fourteen acre Splash Park
- In September, go to the Good Times Barbeque Cook-Off and savor some of the best bbq ever cooked while ninety teams put forth their talents to see who really is King of the bbq grill.
- In November we have the Working Ranch Cowboy Rodeo Championships where cowboys and cowgirls fight for the championship title.
- Don’t forget the livestock auction which is a unique view into how more than one hundred thousand heads of cattle or horses are sold on the block
Amarillo is a great location for your convention or business meet too. From small tour groups to large conventions, there are excellent facilities available to host your event.
It’s horse country here for sure and has many dude ranches you can visit and experience. The Palo Duro Canyon is the second largest canyon in the U.S. and the city is steeped in its’ heritage of trading, the railway, cowboys, buffalo hunters and exploring adventurers.
Come here for great food, ample shopping and plenty of museums to check out. We also have exhibits to visit and live shows to see you’ll never grow bored here.